Tuesday, August 14, 2007

For every moment captured, there is a moment missed.

Take your pick: the world on a tiny 2.5in LCD screen, the world in a pin-hole-sized viewfinder, OR the vast endless world that opens up to you before your eyes.

For many photographers with SLR cameras, the choice is usually the most counter-intuitive one. What is it about a photographer's personality that motivates them to hide behind their over-sized lens? What provokes them to step out from the moment and fade into the background to capture a photo? Are photographers naturally introverts?

Perhaps photographers are very peculiar individuals, working to share their unique view of the world. In their eyes -or rather through their lens- the world is unparalleled by conventional images. So they use light to paint the picture in a special perspective, and sharing with the world that ordinary items can suddenly become so alluring.

For me, the motive seems to be a more selfish one. I want to capture a piece of the world for myself. Is it my delusion to think that as long as I have the world in a photo, I actually have the world? Being afraid to loose the moment, I try to trap it inside a picture. But sometimes I forget that while trying to capture the moment through the tiny viewfinder, I'm actually missing the moment itself.

No comments: